Tuesday, April 22, 2014

How will I prepare my children to launch?


As a parent of three teenagers, two thirteen and a sixteen year old, I realize that the day will soon approach when my kids will launch from the nest and embark on their own journey.  Of course I’ll always be here for them but things will be different.  I wonder what if anything I could have done differently to help prepare them for this stage of life.  I also consider that as they become more involved with their own activities I will be faced with reconstructing my relationships, with my kids, my friends and my community.  As I’m in my early forties middle age is quickly approaching and the redefinition of my role begins weighing heavy on my mind.  Many of my Latin friends have multiple generations living in the same household so their kids may or may not launch as early or even at all.  Part of this is cultural and finances play a major role in their decisions as well.  It has always been a given that my kids would go to college and start a working immediately after relocating wherever in the world makes the most sense for their careers.  But why is this a given?  Many of my friends from different culture believe that going to work and contributing to the support of the family is a top priority.  Trade schools or apprenticeships are the norm.  Some of my friend’s kids are the first generation to consider and attend college.  There seems to be a transitional generation where late adolescence continue living at home while attending college.  The idea of having my kids around after graduation is very appealing to me.  In discussions with some friends they have made it clear that they would consider it an insult to the family if their kids were to move out of town or across the country.  The economy is another consideration.  I myself have been faced with economic challenges and have had to rely on familial support more than I would have liked.  If living near each other supporting one another was the norm this might not have been as disheartening and might have even been prevented from happening in the first place.  As I approach this next stage of life I want to investigate why I have the expectations I have and that I’ve instilled in my children.  Family history, economics, and cultural expectations should be challenged in order to make a more informed decision.  Each of my “young adults” have a completely different personality and there is no one size fits all answer for these questions.  While I may not have the answers, I’m thankful to be asking the questions and open this dialog with my kids.  It’s funny how easily we fall into doing things because that’s the way it is or that’s the way it’s always been done.  While we may end up choosing to continue on the same path it will now be with greater purpose and consideration.   

No comments:

Post a Comment